Greetings to the residents of Fitchburg,
We’re here to provide you with important updates from the Department of Public Works about upcoming work scheduled for the week of August 28, 2023, weather permitting.
Road Construction: From Monday to Friday, between 7 a.m. and 3 p.m., there will be ongoing road construction. Please anticipate road closures, possible delays, and detours during this time.
MassDOT will be continuing their efforts to reconstruct and rehabilitate the Circle Street Bridge. Unfortunately, due to ongoing construction, the bridge will remain closed for both vehicle and pedestrian traffic until further notice.
Combination Sanitary Sewer/Storm Drain Separation Project: Throughout the week, from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m., a combination sanitary sewer and storm drain separation project will be underway. This project will involve detours, lane shifts, road closures, and potential traffic delays.
The ongoing sewer infrastructure work will be concentrated at several key intersections, including Main Street at River Street, Goddard Street at Chestnut Street, and Caldwell Place and Bond Street. The contractor is committed to ensuring residents’ access to their properties at all times. As part of this project, the Main Street at River Street Detour is now in effect. Kindly follow the traffic and detour signs, and feel free to reach out to the Fitchburg Police Department for any questions related to traffic or detours.
Minor Traffic Impacts: Between Monday and Friday, from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m., several minor traffic-related activities will be taking place:
- Crews will continue their efforts for storm cleanup, focused on restoring city utilities and road infrastructure impacted by recent weather events. We kindly request your patience as they work through affected areas. If you come across any unsafe conditions, please report them on See-Click-Fix. The crews will prioritize and address these concerns as they become available.
- Citywide pothole repairs will also be underway to enhance road quality.
- Sidewalk repairs on the Court House side of Elm Street are scheduled.
- Various locations throughout the city will see the repair of water gate boxes.
- Unitil will be engaged in natural gas pipeline replacement projects in different areas, including Mount Vernon St, Apple Tree Hill, Prichard St from Main St to Elm St, Pleasant St from Spring St to Davis St, Pinard Ave, and Pleasantview Ave. Contractors Neuco, S. Fors, Feeney Brothers, and O.G. Croteau will be active between 7 a.m. and 5 p.m. from Monday to Friday. You can expect detours, temporary road closures, and potential delays. Residents will be notified in advance of any planned service interruptions associated with the gas work.
- Unitil’s work on services along South Street from Whalon Street to Route 2, and on Pierce Ave, may involve traffic detours or minor delays, with efforts to keep traffic flowing as smoothly as possible.
- Tree trimming activities by Asplundh, Lewis, and Stanley will occur at designated locations.
- Pine Ridge Technologies (PRT) will be installing streetlight bases and replacement aluminum light poles across various streets in the city.
- Arcadis will carry out stormwater infrastructure inspections in several areas, including Milk Street, Bilotta Way, Burma Road, Liberty Circle, Sanborn Street, and Kaysha Drive. Please anticipate minor delays, road closures, and detours. Residents are advised not to be alarmed if dye is used during the inspection of infrastructure. The contractor will collaborate with residents if temporary access to their properties is required.
Hydrants: Throughout the week, hydrant maintenance will take place city-wide.
- Hydrant flushing on the High Water System (hydrants with red tops) will occur on Wanoosnoc Road, Canton Street, and South Street areas, from Monday to Friday.
We appreciate your understanding and cooperation as we work to improve and maintain our city’s infrastructure. Your safety and convenience remain our top priorities.
Use SeeClickFix to report maintenance requests or concerns including potholes, sidewalks, signs/signals, lights, parks, catch basins or manholes. Please call the DPW Dispatcher at 978-829-1900 with any immediate request including weather related events (snow, wind, ice, flooding) or sewage backups.